The modern and systematic standardisation in Greece remained unknown for many years due to the industrial underdevelopment. While industrially developed countries, had established National Bodies for Standardisation since the beginning of twentieth century (in 1901 in the Great Britain the BSI, in 1926 the French Body for standardisation, AFNOR, in 1922 the German Body for Standardisation, DIN), in Greece this role was undertaken by the state and the specifications issued were enforced by decrees. The lack of national specifications resulted in many Greek enterprises following the specifications of other countries, adopting automatically the corresponding technology of the country.
The Hellenic Organisation for Standardisation was established as a non profit private legal entity with the Law 372/76 that was voted unanimously by the Parliament on 10 June 1976 and was published in the official government gazette on 30 June of same year.
The representative structure of Administrative Council as also the need for quick making-decision led to the first meeting on the 1st October of 1976.
In February 1977 the first cadre of personnel was already hired as well as the main offices established in the city of Athens (Didotou 15).